MANILA, Philippines – Makati City Mayor Jejomar “Jojo” Binay on Tuesday announced his intent to run for president in the 2010 national elections.
A GMA Flash Report said Binay announced his presidential bid during the celebrations of his 66th birthday at the Makati City Hall.
The report quoted Binay as saying that he will accept it if the United Opposition (UNO) will not field him as their standard bearer. Binay is UNO president.
Meanwhile, a report over dzBB radio said Binay had already informed former President Joseph Estrada his plans to run in 2010.
Aside from Binay, those who have announced they will run for president or are reported to be eyeing the presidency in 2010 include Vice President Manuel “Noli” de Castro, Senators Manuel “Manny” Villar, Manuel “Mar” Roxas II, Panfilo Lacson, Richard Gordon, Loren Legarda and Metropolitan Manila Development Authority chair Bayani Fernando.
Public opinion polling body Social Weather Station on Friday revealed De Castro is the top pick to succeed President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo in 2010. Following his trail are Villar, Legarda, Lacson, Escudero, former President Estrada, and Roxas.